Human Resource Management for Innovation is a tool which enables improved innovation performance through effective people management.
There is growing evidence that people management strategies play a significant role in innovation within an organisation. Such strategies need to be planned and executed in such a way that outcomes are maximised and scarce resources are allocated appropriately. Human Resource Management for Innovation is designed to ensure that effective people management strategy is at the heart of the innovation process.
What outcome can be expected?
Human Resource Management for Innovation will identify:
- What people management strategies and practices are necessary to support innovation at the organisational and innovation project level
- How these practices should be embedded through the roles of senior and line managers
- What role those responsible for people management support will play in embedding these practices
There are three main elements:
- HRMI Framework: identifies the aspects of people management relevant to effective innovation performance
- Diagnostic Tool: offers an examination of all aspects of people management that influence the innovation process
- HRMI Handbook: describes the deployment process
When should you use it?
Organisations currently involved in innovative activities, or embarking on an innovative strategy, should use Human Resource Management for Innovation to benchmark, and if necessary, improve their people management practices.
How does it work?
A skilled facilitator, who is familiar with the demands of both technical innovation and Human Resource Management, will work with a team of company managers to capture current innovation practice using the Diagnostic Tool provided. A scoring system within the Diagnostic assesses current people management performance and clearly identifies areas that require improvement.
The facilitator will use this information as the basis for a multidisciplinary workshop session, which examines how the company might formulate and enable an improvement action plan.